Win a school visit from State of Origin legend, Jonathan Thurston, by getting ready for disaster season.
Open to all Queensland primary schools.
View last year's winner here.
Learning about severe weather and disasters doesn't have to be frightening. The Get Ready Queensland Schools Competition helps children learn about common disasters in Queensland and how to prepare for them in a creative and fun way. Choose from a range of activities to suit your class, including worksheets, an online game, design challenge and a disaster-themed snakes and ladders board game. Best of all, our activities align to the Australian Curriculum.
Why do Queensland students need to Get Ready?
Extreme weather is a part of life in Queensland. In fact, Queensland has more natural disasters than any other state in Australia (we've been through more than 100 severe events in the past decade including cyclones, bushfires, floods, storms and storm tides) and children are among the most vulnerable.
We can’t change the weather but we can be prepared. Research shows people who are prepared can better care for themselves, their families and properties during a disaster which means they recover faster. It's vital children are part of the conversation about preparing for disasters and play a role in helping their household get ready.
The Get Ready Queensland Schools Competition activities are a great way to start the conversation with your kids about what weather they might face this disaster season and how they can help.
How to enter the 2023 Queensland Schools Competition
Read the Terms and Conditions here. Then, follow the three steps below to complete the activity with your class and enter.
Which activity should I choose for my students?
What you need to know
- All competition activities align to the Australian Curriculum: HPE Personal, social and community health strand. Focus areas: Safety and Mental health and Well-being. And for upper primary, the My Flood Resilient House activity aligns with the Technology Learning area and promotes design thinking.
- One entry per class, but schools are welcome to submit entries for multiple classes.
- Competition closes 11:59pm 6 October 2023.
- The winner will be randomly drawn from the competition entries.
- All entries will go into the draw to win a visit from rugby league legend and Get Ready Queensland Ambassador, Johnathan Thurston.
- Winners will be announced in Get Ready Queensland Week, 9-15 October 2023.
- Terms and Conditions coming soon!
- Photographs and videos submitted with entries may be used on Get Ready Queensland's Instagram and Facebook channels to promote the school and the activities.
Share your feedback
We know that when it comes to classrooms, teachers know best so we would love to get teacher feedback on our existing schools resources as well as ideas for what to offer next year. This is Get Ready Queensland’s second Schools Competition and we hope to offer more engaging and curriculum aligned activities for Queensland classrooms. So tells us what you think with an email to email@example.com